Thread: Wake On Lan Setup

Wake On Lan Setup

Hi,

I have been given the task of confirguring all the Broadcom NIC cards within the business to be ready for wake on lan (as part of using it for sccm purposes). I have got a script that will enable the power settings within windows for wol, however I cannot find a way of turning on the wake on lan feature for the NIC driver. I wondered if there is a way of turning this feature on remotely on machines, or if not perhaps via a script. I have downloaded BACS 4 and had a play with that, but cannot see a way of exporting settings for a nic card or if there is a registry switch to enable wol by default. We are mainly using the NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller, but if needed can give a list of other NIC Cards we are using.

Thanks in Advance

Quote Originally Posted by octoj View Post
    I wondered if there is a way of turning this feature on remotely on machines, or if not perhaps via a script.
    Look at the BACScli (Broadcom Advanced Control Suite command line interface) utility. This is a scriptable application which allows you to configure many properties of the NIC. In your case, look at the "cfg Advanced" command to get/set the NIC's advanced properties. Here's what it looks like to "get" the properties on my laptop:

C:\Program Files\Broadcom\BACS>bacscli -t NDIS -f MAC -i 001c23829a9e "cfg Advanced"
    Broadcom BACS Command Line Interface Utility for Windows v2.1.10
    Initializing...

Advanced
    --------
    802.1p QOS: Disable (Default)
    Flow Control: Auto (Default)
    Speed & Duplex: Auto (Default)
    Wake Up Capabilities: Both (Default)

UnInitializing...

C:\Program Files\Broadcom\BACS>

Dave

Thanks for that, so if I wanted to target all Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx adapters would the following script work?

C:\Program Files\Broadcom\BACS>bacscli -t NDIS "cfg Advanced" "Wake Up Capabilities"="Both"

Quote Originally Posted by octoj View Post
    ... so if I wanted to target all Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx adapters would the following script work?
    The BACScli utility doesn't support any wildcard functionality, you need to specify a particular adapter using the -t, -f, and -i options. If your systems are identically configured then you can specify the device based on the PCI Bus, Device, and Function number (-f BDF) since that will be consistent between identically configured systems. You can get a listing of devices in BDF order with the following command:

C:\Program Files\Broadcom\BACS>bacscli "list -F BDF ndis
    Broadcom BACS Command Line Interface Utility for Windows v2.1.10
    Initializing...

C Busev.Func Dev Type Name
    - ------------ ------------ ----------------------------------------------------
    0 09:00.00 NDIS [0001] Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
    1 0c:00.00 NDIS [0011] Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    2 N/A NDIS [0021] 1394 Net Adapter #2

UnInitializing...

Then change the settings with the command:

C:\Program Files\Broadcom\BACS>bacscli -t NDIS -f BDF -i 09:00.00 "cfg Advanced" "Wake Up Capabilities"="Both"

Dave

Designer hortedn

Thanks for that. After some playing I managed to get the following to work for me:

bacscli -t NDIS "cfg Advanced Default"

This is because by restoring to the default settings the settings are exactly what we need them to be.

Thanks,

Octoj