Thread: Broadcom NetLink BCM57780 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller - Not working Windows 7

Broadcom NetLink BCM57780 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller - Not working Windows 7

Hello, I have a big problem with my laptop and not working driver for it.

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5741ZG
    Windows 7 Ultimate, 32 bits

The network device is Broadcom NetLink BCM57780 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller, and the device isn't working.
    When plugin the network (lan cable) Windows 7 sets automatically ip to ipv4 "169.254.96,196", but why?
    My network works perfect, I have other two laptops which are working great, but this not.

Drivers version which I tried are: 12.4.0.3, 12.4.1.0, 15.2.0.4b, but they don't get ip from dhcp.
    P.S. I have no problems with my router/modem or cables, it's driver problem

What to do?

More info from aida64:
    Code:
    Field	Value
    Device Properties	
    Driver Description	Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
    Driver Date	10.2.2012
    Driver Version	15.2.0.4
    Driver Provider	Broadcom
    INF File	oem10.inf
    Hardware ID	PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1692&SUBSYS_036D1025&REV_01
    Location Information	PCI bus 2, device 0, function 0
    PCI Device	Broadcom NetLink BCM57780 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Device Resources	
    IRQ	65536
    Memory	B6100000-B610FFFF

The address 169.254.XXX.XXX indicates that your NIC is configured for DHCP but is not receiving an IP address when issuing a DHCP Discover packet. (See the Wireshark Wiki at http://wiki.wireshark.org/DHCP which includes a sample capture of the DHCP protocol in action.) There are several possible causes so you might want to follow the troubleshooting steps suggested by the Microsoft DHCP team in this Technet BLOG posting:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/teamdhcp/...-to-debug.aspx

Steps 11 & 12 appear to be Windows Vista specific and likely don't apply to your case, and for step 13 I'd suggest using Wireshark rather than Microsoft's Netmon to get a packet capture. Compare your capture to the examples available on the Wireshark page and post a capture here if you need help interpreting the capture. (Take care to implement the "capture filter" listed towards the bottom of the Wireshark Wiki web page.)

If the driver is loading correctly (no yellow exclamation point displayed in Device Manager), the adapter has link (i.e. you don't see the phrase "Media disconnected" when you run the command "ipconfig" at the Command Prompt), and you you don't see the Physical Address listed as 00-00-00-00-00-00 when you run the command "ipconfig /all", then the NIC likely isn't the issue. You'll want to look at the cable, switch, and router DHCP configuration more closely.

Dave

All in one from pc:

Wireshark:
    Last edited by beBoss; 10-19-2012 at 08:00 AM.

You can set a display filter on Wireshark to only show the DHCP traffic (udp.port == 67 or udp.port == 68) and get rid of the clutter. It would also be better to save and then attach the capture file rather than taking a screenshot since I can see the details of the request. Can you confirm that the source MAC address of the DHCP frames are from your adapter?

Based on the PNG file I only see DHCP discovery requests going out on the wire, lines 1, 7, 39, and 46 are part of one session, but I don't see any response from the DHCP server. There's other broadcast/multicast/ARP traffic on the wire so the adapter is functional. The problem might lie with your system (the contents of the DHCP Discovery frame could be asking for an address your DHCP server can't/won't respond to) or it could lie with your DHCP server (MAC address not "on the approved list" to give out an IP address, no more IP addresses available from the range managed by the DHCP server, etc.) or it could be that you didn't capture the DHCP traffic from your system (need to look at MAC addresses in the capture to confirm).

Dave